So OpenWGA 6.3 is now three months old and we're already deep into creating its successor version which will again be a "dot-oh" one, as the release of the previous main version 6.0 is also already two years in the past.
As you might already know the main version releases of OpenWGA are not the ones where big and drastic changes are coming, unlike known from other software. OpenWGA 7.0 is the new base version that we are going to support for a full 3 year period, so we use this version to refine and improve all the new things that we introduced in the preceding feature releases to provide a mature, stable and long-lived platform.
But as usual, even in our base release we will introduce some smaller goodies that should make it worth upgrading (in case the extended support period and easier maintenance is not enough value for you).
Here is what's in store for OpenWGA 7.0:
- Improved WGAPI caching, providing much better scaleability in environments with many authenticated users and much read-protected content
- Improved customization possibilities for OpenWGA Content Manager including menus, sections on the right panel and dialogs
design customizations, allowing to predefine, jobs, design shortcuts,
various mappings and a separate minimum OpenWGA server version
- Support for cancelling running jobs in a clean way
- Server startup/shutdown speed improved
- Database transactions can be controlled via end user API
- Access to WebTML navigational functions in TMLScript
OpenWGA 7.0 is currently scheduled for a release in early September 2014.
As usual this release date will also start the one year "grace period" for the support of the old OpenWGA 6.0 base version. In this period we will continue to publish 6.0.x maintenance releases until support runs out at its end. Users of this old base version may want to use this period for planning the upgrade to 7.0 which will provide them continued easy access to maintenance releases.